Early Dementia
So....last week was my first week back to work since an 11 day hiatus for the holidays. I was supposed to have joined a book club, which is kind of ironic, because it literally takes me 6 months or more to read a book sometimes. This book club is a combined book and movie club, where you read a book that is related to or written before the movie came out. Having found a suitable excuse to not attend the first meeting on January 4th (1. working that night; 2. book was sold out at the store)....I felt somewhat relieved. And mind you, those were real excuses - no lying involved! So anyways, I'm sitting at the table yesterday during a seminar and the other people in the book club are talking about meeting up to discuss a book. I thought...wow, you guys have already finished reading the SECOND book?? A few confused sentences later, I find out that no, they were talking about the first book and no, they didn't have the meeting on January 4th.
"Why? Could no one make it to the meeting?"
"No...what? The meeting's tomorrow"
"Huh? I thought it was on January 4th"
"Why would you think that? In the email it says January 12th"
It's not good enough that I got the wrong week, but also the wrong day of the week. In fact, it has left me wondering what important event happened on January 4th that I've now missed. And of course...today being the 12th. I am not working. So...in essence I WAS lying....I just didn't know it.
Secondly, to add to my growing fears of early Alzheimer's, my friend is having some minor surgery done on the 26th of January. I had a chance to hang out with him on the weekend and when I was leaving I said, "Well good luck with your surgery, I'm sure I'll talk to you before then though". This is me fully thinking that his surgery was TODAY (i.e. the 12th).
So then I see him online today and I say, "Why aren't you at the hospital?"
"Why? My surgery is on the 26th"
Doh. Idiot.

2 Comments:
I think maybe Alzheimer's runs in the family. Any thoughts on early intervention??
I think a good whack on the head and some strong whisky should do the trick.
Post a Comment
<< Home