What the....
I am currently on an elective in family medicine up at North York. My supervisor is nice, but she likes to play the, "OK, what am I thinking?" game., and in such a short time with her, I haven't quite caught on yet. Just dreading my evaluation tomorrow....should be painful.
On my way to work, I was walking uphill and someone whistled at me from their car. I don't know who it was, because I didn't look, but it was really weird. I mean....at 9 am? And it got me thinking....was it a real whistle or a mock whistle?? Did I have toilet paper stuck to my shoe? Something written on my face?
Today's patients were real trouble. First of all, the practice is 85% Hungarian. So....many of the patients can't communicate very well with me or start speaking Hungarian with the "real" story as soon as the doctor enters the room. Dr. Z has told her secretary repeatedly to ask the patients coming in if they speak English or not...so when I go to get a patient I am under the assumption that they speak it. Riiiiiight. This morning, the secretary asked a patient if I could see her before the doctor. I took her into the examining room and as soon as I started talking, she said "NO ENGLISH"....I said, do you understand English at least? And she nodded, but when I started talking, she said "NO ENGLISH". So I took her blood pressure and left.
Another woman, who had agreed to see me, was extremely rude to me after I started talking to her, because other than renewing her Percocets, I was not worthy of her conversation. She said "I CAN'T TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY PROBLEMS!"...I tried a couple of times, but she just cut me off. So I said..."ok...." and got up and left. If she can be rude, so can I....I mean, what did she think? Do I look like I can speak Hungarian? I have learned one word of Hungarian in 10 days.
Whew. Day's over....or so I thought. 6pm. I'm off to my volunteering job (feeding little kitties at the Humane Society). My normal route is to go from the Leslie station to Sheppard, to Queen, then use a transfer to take the Queen streetcar. The whole trip takes about an hour.....so I was shocked when I got the "Oh, c'mon!" look from the streetcar driver as he looked at my transfer, taken from Leslie....I mean, if he didn't approve of my transfer he should have said something...not given me a dirty look. It's not like I wandered off to the mall for a while before going on the streetcar. I got the transfer at 6:09....and when I got out of the Queen Subway station I had JUST missed the streetcar...so I went across the street and got some money out and a hot choco from Tim Horton's.....then I got on the next streetcar....what's wrong with that?? Now I seriously thought I had something written on my face or something.
And that was my day.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home