I'm just going to tell people that I'm a flight attendant
Let me preface this post with: I know not everyone knows how the process works to become a practicing physician in Canada, but sometimes I think that people just don't get it. Even with multiple, repeated explanation.
It is frustrating when my friends and people I meet constantly ask me when I know what I'm going to specialize in. First of all, I decided on my specialty one and a half years ago when I finished school, and I am "specializing" in family medicine. These people know that I'm in a family medicine program too. It's like I'm doing a two-year residency in family medicine (as if that's not long enough), but according to them I still have to specialize in something. It makes me feel like they think family doctors don't do anything.
Also, I explain to them that we do all of these rotations and we can study whatever we want for certain rotations to brush up on things, as long as they are related to family medicine. For example, dermatology. You see tons of skin problems in the family doctor's office. So, this month I'm doing a placement at a dermatologist's office. Someone I know (who I've explained this all to before) asked me if it means that I'm studying to become a dermatologist. I said, no.....and then she asked me, well then why do you have to do a rotation in it if you're not going to become one? And I said, well so we can treat common skin disorders in the family doctor's office. She said, oh, so is that what you want to do? Specialize in dermatology?
And it still surprises me that some people don't know what a 'family doctor' is. A guy asked me if that meant 'pediatrician'.

3 Comments:
So is the Doctor around as little as he said he would be, and do you have as much reading as he hinted that you might have?
Yeah, he works Monday and Tuesday 8-3:45, Wednesday 8-10:30, Thursday 8-10:45, and Friday 8-11.
And he expects me to read up on every condition that we see in the office on that day, plus whatever random fact he asks me. I'm not even sure if he likes me or not.
those are some light hours, and well the reading I guess thats a good thing, I mean it forces you to know more than the average person I guess. (not that you wouldnt bother looking into things deeper) As for the liking you part, well Im sure if he didnt you would be well aware of it, so Im sure its all good.
Post a Comment
<< Home